Friday, March 16, 2012

Blondie in the River
Thanks for visiting my blog. If you like it sign up and follow me. This is my first try at blogging so please cut me a little slack. I wouldn’t mind a wee bit of feedback so I can either stop blathering and get back to my novel, or be boosted up by your praise (ahem) and keep blogging.
First I’ll have to introduce myself. I am currently writing my first novel. A thriller set in Florida in 2004 during an incredible hurricane season filled with time travel, evil scientists, witch trials, the Wild West, Puerto Rico, hot blondes, and a Gerard Butler look-alike.

I was born in the Mid-Atlantic and grew up mostly in the beautiful state of Maryland.  You know, Maryland with the sailboats on the Chesapeake Bay also named after Bloody Mary, Henry the VIII’s daughter. So don’t mess with me, right (wink). I’ve lived up and down the East Coast from Massachusetts to Florida but have been jerked away somewhere landlocked for the moment.  I am definitely missing the beach although there is plenty of dirt here. So what does a water lover do when there is no water nearby? I can write about it, although it isn't so easy when I have short people in my house (ehem, my kids) I’m currently a writer and a mom and my days go something like this on my red couch warmed by the heat of my laptop:
Ronnie frantically swam towards the car trying to get back to Mike through the raging waters. She didn’t even know if he was still alive. Using every bit of strength she had Ronnie fought through the debris strewn river to reach him.  Moments before they were driving to San Juan before the hurricane flooded waters blocked their path. They were slammed by a wall of mud and crashed into the angry river below. She grabbed the door that was threatening to be torn off by the rushing water and pulled herself inside the car. He was unconscious. She checked for a pulse. He was alive but had a bloody gash on his head. She quickly unbuckled his seatbelt as the car continued to fill with water.  The car broke loose from its perch on the sandy bottom of the river and bumped and jerked downstream, slamming the door closed trapping them both inside.

“Mom, can you help me wipe my butt.” My four year old daughter yells from the bathroom.

“Yes, honey. Try for yourself and I’ll be there in a minute.” Because there is nothing more that I’d like to do right now than wipe your butt, cuteness. She knows how to wipe; she just wants a little attention. Maybe I should quit for awhile and go play with her.

Seriously, I’m drowning here. You’re going to ‘play’ while I am unconscious and about to die. You’re heartless.

“Mom, there aren’t any butt wipes in here.”

“OK, honey.  I’ll get you some.”  Sorry Mike, you’re just going to have to hold on a little longer.

You can see that Ronnie, hot as she is, is about ninety pounds lighter than I am. If you wait there’s no way she’ll have the strength to pull me to shore. Then we’re both dead. What are you going to do then? No book with dead main characters, right?

Hey, just because you look a little like Gerard Butler doesn’t mean I’ll just do whatever you say. The little girl is hungry and needs some attention. Just hold your breath till I get back.

Wait. When will you be back?

Stop looking at me with those gorgeous blue eyes. . . Fine, I'll be right back, damn you.

That’s how it goes, back and forth everyone wanting a piece of me. Unfortunately, my daughter doesn’t nap anymore. I don’t get that good two hour block of time to get some writing done while she lays her sweet curly blonde head down gripping Big Bird tightly in her arms. The mangy, eyeball-scratched Big Bird. Not the new fluffy yellow one that he used to be.  He’s a little like me at the end of the day; messy-yellow headed, scratchy eyed and gripped tightly in a hug by my cute-a-ful beauty.

Follow me on Twitter at @kamajowa.

14 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogsphere sista! Looking great. Especially like the background. Fits well with the conversations we've had.

    It's scary how much this post reminded me of my daily life, lol! So hard to get your brain back where it needs to be.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirkus! I'm totally a newby at this, but I appreciate the boost. I've got a lot to learn, fo sho. I thought you'd get the contrast of in your head and in the house since your a stay at home dad too.

      Delete
  2. I can not leave a comment directly to your post, because none of the choices for profile are known to me. But you can paste this feedback yourself, if you want to.

    Here’s what I think:

    Very good! I like the way you mixed the book and your real life toghether, as if the book talks to you. Makes it fresh and entertaining. And who would not approve of anything containing Gerard Butler...hallo?? :-) I'm impressed by anyone who manages to keep a blog, but they are not all nice to read. This was, and quite the right size too :-) I look forward to follow further :-)



    Karen-M.H.

    Norway

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed at the 'wipe my butt' part - not in the book, right?
    You capture the work/life balance of the writer well, I mean, it's so easy to get so sucked into what you're doing that when life inevitably comes crashing in you're left reeling!
    Your action sequence flows along rapidly like the scene it's describing - well written and well done!
    Glad you're blogging , )
    J.D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks so much JD. You're giving me hope I can keep doing this! And there is no butt wiping in the book -- I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! Love it! I have to say, your writing reminds me of mine. First time I've experienced that.

    I actually love the first bit best - I don't know how much humour you use in your novel writing, but if I were you I'd use it. I've learnt that - if you can write funny stuff, make the most of it - most people can't! I CAN, you CAN. Even your bio is funny.

    Love you, new social networking friend!

    Yes, like, like, like - I shall be pleased to read more, so don't stop!

    Love Terry xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terry,

    Thank you so much for your kind words! You're makin' me want to go write more, but now the pressure is on to be funny. Darn, now I can't think of a witty response. So happy that you like it and it confirms my initial feeling about you -- that you're AWESOME and a kindrid spirit. Yea! Glad to find you in the social medai universe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! you are so stinkin' cute, but you've got your 4 yr old as "cuteness", which I think should be YOUR nickname. Anyway, enjoyed it a lot, and your humor flows easily, it seems to me, so don't feel "pressure" bc people say how much they enjoy your humor....you are supposed to GLOW with our praise of your funniness - in person it would be applause, okay?
    Looking forward to the next blog and all other pieces of writing you do.

    Blondee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! OK I am glowing but now have to live up to the 'cuteness' response. Thanks you so much fellow blondee. So appreciate all of your kind words and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great start Karen. I'm proud to be the old guy in your family (Unc Neil)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha You're so funny. Love your blogger name. Thanks for taking the time to review it. I guess I gotta keep it a little clean if you're going to be reading it. Oh yea, you're related to me so we should be just fine!

      Delete
  10. This is a great post! I know the feeling all too well, as a writer with five kids ages 8 and under. My advice, for what it's worth, is to try to blog 2-3x/wk. it keeps your head in the game. Doesn't have to be long, or earth-shatteringly insightful.

    Keep writing and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Seth! I really appreciate the advice. I'll step up my game and get another one out in a few days. Look for Blondie in Bermuda, next. I'll guarantee it won't be earth-shattering, goofy, probably.

      Delete